Monday, October 1, 2012

10. Two Birthdays

9/29/12


Yesterday and today revolved around two words: Happy Birthday!!
Yesterday was Erin Messinger’s 22nd B-day and today was Melissa’s 30th B-day. If they ask, I did not share their age! J Erin is a missionary from Southern who has been at Familia Feliz for one year already, and Melissa is the founder of the orphanage and has been here since 2005.

Planning both fiestas was a blast. My boys, myself, and Chad were able to each draw a picture for her, and buy her a full uniform of the soccer team Barcelona. Yuck! My least favorite team. However, I couldn’t help myself—she is great at soccer and her last name has Messi in it…the name of the world’s best soccer player. She loved it. Emy and I were also able to pull our funds together to treat her to cake, pizza (a rarity here),  birthday candles, and fruit punch!

For Melissa we had a surprise party complete with the world’s best tortilla’s and a double decker cake!! After word she was “lovingly” dragged into a pre-made mud pit. Also strange, the birthday tradition here is to egg the birthday person.

However, my favorite part was sticking a candle into a “birthday coconut”…that’s one tradition I would like to continue from here on. (As pictured)

The birthday girl surrounded by my boys
**Keep adventurizing!...I know I will!**

No comments:

Post a Comment