Monday, November 26, 2012

46. The Census

Wednesday, 11/20/12
Happy National Census Day in Bolivia!! Everyone was worried about their legal standing with the government. I wondered if I had to run for the hills since I didn’t have my visa yet!! No worries…this turned out to be a friendly government visit.
The census lady arrived at Familia Feliz in the morning, but she wouldn’t get to my household until the afternoon. Therefore, I helped make French Fries for breakfast, and then we all went to sand-paper the tires for the trailer. They are starting to take shape quite nicely.
Before...

...after




...Enoch during :) ....
I had to stop at 11 a.m. to tutor David. He is 10 but is just learning the names of the letters and numbers. I’m sure he has dyslexia and might even be color blind. No matter. I am determined to teach him and Moises to read by the end of the summer. 1 hour a day. Slow and steady. However, prayers would be greatly appreciated!! J
Today was Annie’s last day at Familia Feliz, so I hung out with her most of the day. Once she leaves, I’ll be the only college-aged, Enlgish speaking person left. I will truly miss her company and her tough, farm girl, can-do attitude.

Soon it was my time for the census. I sat down, and was relieved when I found out they were only asking questions for demographic purposes: Can you read? Do you own a computer? How many bathrooms in your house? I was done after 10 minutes, but there were still more to go and the day was almost over. We would have to have her stay the night. How many people have been hired for this job to get it done within 3 days? Probably thousands!

The little ladies man posing for a photo shoot.

We then had Wednesday night worship. And then…surprise, Eric!...here’s another kid for you! A group of people were bringing in belongings of some kid into my room. I had no idea what was going on. One word: versatility. You cannot survive here without it…plus, it keeps things interesting. I gladly welcome the 14-year-old punk from my English classes. His name is Brayan, and he sees me as the older brother he never had. I am excited to see how this works out. So far, he is also a great older brother for Juan (I am actually writing this three days later and he goes everywhere with Brayan, and Brayan goes everywhere with me…kinda like the three amigos?)

After all the commotion, we finally got settled in and fell asleep at 10 p.m. I was so distracted with today’s events that I temporarily forgot tomorrow was Thanksgiving!!

**Keep adventurizing!...I know I will!**

No comments:

Post a Comment