Monday, November 5, 2012

32. Killer Toads, Kids, Cows, and Moths

Wednesday, 10/30/12
What a day. First my little students tried to kill me, then a big cow tried to kill me. Here is how it unfolded:
Herbert saying hi
First, I wokeup to the sound of Herbert, the gigantic toad rumaging through my suit case. He could have swallowed me if he desired. Based on everyone´s description of how horrible teaching elementary is, I almost wanted him to.
I sincerely had a great time teaching the Kindergarten, first, and second grade joint classes today, even though I had to work for the great time.


At 7:30, Erin introduced me to the kids and I felt like a rock star! They were yelling and applauding excitedly, but I'm pretty sure they were things, "Good! A substitute. Let´s kill him then have recess all day!" Therefore, I immediately asserted myself...with smiles and a few jokes! Bad strategy in the U.S., but it worked perfectly here. They were silent. Maybe because the aweful jokes made them sad. ;)
My grandson, Miguel, mastering Language
 class with colored pencils

7:40-8:00 Worship. We sang four songs, I read a story about Paul with lots of pictures (My favorite!), then we closed with prayer.

8:00-9:30 Language class. This is when kids learn Spanish like when I learn English in the States. Well, none of the kids understand the directions in their workbooks. Hence, they come to my desk and ask me what it mean. The questions are in complicated Spanish--I don't know what it means!! However, with my skimpy knowledge and a handy dictionary, all of the kids finished their assignments with time to spare. Then they read or drew pictures.

Coloring for recess?!! Girls!

9:30-10:00 Recess! Finally, a breather for me to get some water. I also played soccer with the kids in the full 100 degrees sun with dress shoes, slacks, and a dress shirt! It was worth it.

Brayan thinking of ways to avoid doing Math

10:00-11:00 Math. They don't like math. They like hanging from my arms much better. So, I stopped walking around to help them, sat at my desk, and had the kids line up in an organized manner. It worked! I then helped the kids count their fingers, add up numbers, and learn how to write numbers.

Science movie!

11:00-11:45 Science. Loved this class. Why? They watched a movie the whole time about cheetahs. Then school was over. I was barely alive yet still smiling. They then hugged me wildly and then I left as soon as I could to my only oasis...town.
Chad and I went to town to run a few errands.
After we ate our fill, Joy drove us back to Familia Feliz. We then saw a herd of cattle in the distance. The distance closed rapidly and we were surrounded by white zebu cattle. We all gasped when two cattle barely split our truck. Then...BANG! The cow behind these two must not have see our truck until it was too late. It jumped and smacked into the fender and hood of the truck. I was sure the truck would work after that, but old faithful pulled through. We were all a little more thankful for our lives after this.
Erin then spotted a "fire breathing" T-Rex made out of a lightning cloud. Interesting, eh?
I got home fell asleep and was then woken up at 9:30 by Juan and Emy. They wanted me to draw a blue-print for the expansion of our house. I sleepily, yet gladly obliged and spent the next 2 hours deciphering what they wanted in their new home and sketching it as they liked. The lights went out but I still kept working with my headlamp. Moths liked that and kept flying into my eyes and ears.
I finished and fell asleep thankful to be alive.
**Keep adventurizing!...I know I will!**

3 comments:

  1. Love reading your posts Eric. And I envy your positive attitude and seemingly endless amount of energy. But be careful not to overdo it. Glad to see you take on challenging situations with gusto! Keep up the great work. I love you very much and am proud of the work you are doing over there.
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great write up Eric. Sounds like you and your kids had fun while learning. Glad you're not agraid to take on challenges. Keep it up!
    Love,
    -Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Eric, your blogs are better than any entertainment on tv. Keep them coming. Keep healthy and keep close to. god. Love you buddy. Mom

    ReplyDelete