Sunday, May 12, 2013

151. Top 10 Adventures!!


Tuesday, 5/7/13

Happy Birthday Pops!

These past 21 years with you as my papa bear have been gnarly. I hope you agree. At least you have not disinherited me yet! J

To celebrate this momentous occasion (and since nothing ground-breaking happened today), I want to make a list. I like lists. I want this one to be a reminiscent of my most memorable experiences thus far of my Bolivian experience. This is for your benefit and mine (so enjoy while I do).

 Now keep in mind. These are the moments that stand out most to me. Not necessarily my favorites. Look at number 3 for example.

10. Trips to the Toma to fix water

These were trips of valor that felt like missions of heroism. Each of the 5 times I brought kids or teens to fix the water I made sure that they felt like they were going to save the village. I loved seeing the faces of the little kids as they took to their task with utmost fervor. Usually, we voyaged in torments of rain and a flooded river. The spectacular wild life and feeling of satisfaction will stick out in my mind when I think of my Bolivian experience. However, it is only number 10. There is more!


9. La Paz trip

Chad and I were “stranded” in La Paz for more than a week due to visa problems. We were confused, worried, and really, really, befuddled. I would not have it any other way. Our time in La Paz allowed us to truly see this beautiful city. The alpine heights were breathtaking, the people intriguing, and the food new and exciting. We wandered the streets like tourists and now feel we could give anyone a complete tour of the city. We loved it and cannot wait to return to this marvelous 2-mile high city.

8. Baking Bread with Steve

Mmmmm. I reached into my memory bank was whacked by a wall of fragrance. Steve’s bread smells and tastes sooo good. Now Chad and I can do it too…more or less. However, our new found skills alone does not make this a good experience in itself. The times spent with Steve were always filled with laughter. Fairly goofy laughter. Besides the tears of joy, our deep conversations with Steve also added to the great experience.




7. Teaching

Man o’ man! These kids almost ate me alive. I advise any future missionary that wants to teach for a year to get 100 years worth of training before stepping into a classroom. Boy, was I unprepared. My skills learned while teaching classes at Summer Camp were useless. Baptism by fire is an understatement. However, I grew with them and they grew with me. I laughed at their silliness and plain stupidity. There was a week when all I wanted to do was run away. I was grumpy. But the six weeks following that were mostly joy-filled. I found the line between friend and foe, and the kids respected that. We ended up learning a lot from each. I include myself in that statement because I literally set a time each week in which the kids solely taught me Spanish. They loved and I did as well. Would I do it again? Yes, but with a lot of convincing. I would not trade out my experience for anything in the world however.


6. Brazil Trip

Okay, okay. So we barely crossed over the border. In reality, I am certain we were never more than a mile from Bolivia’s frontier. However, the Brazilian flavor was potent. The people, food, and language were fantastical. Even greater was the fact that I traveled with two of the coolest cats in the mundo, Chad and Ali. We goofed, punched, and became frustrated at the Bolivian government together. They helped me fulfill my mission to seek out guarana. The two towns we stayed in were not that interesting, but with them it was an experience to never forget.

5. Pampas Trip

I touched monkeys! I put an alligator baby in my mouth!! My ears almost exploded from the craziness of the Israeli hooligans!!! The beauty of this river world was breath taking. I did not want to leave. Plus, there were turtles everywhere. Give me a kayak and I would catch them for days on end without tiring. This trip comprised of one new experience after another. After 8 months in the jungle, this was the true jungle experience we were searching for.

4. Anteater

What more needs to be said. I held an anteater. Beat that!!

3. The Light at the End of the Tunnel

Salmonella. I had it. It was fun in the sun. Did I almost die? Debatable. The nurses said I was close to it and one of them told me afterwards that I had the worst case she had ever seen and the others had died. I do not think I was close to the light at the end of the tunnel, but I felt like I had 2% of my normal energy. Could not speak, could not lift my hand, fainted a bunch of times, every muscle was cramped, so I had to army crawl 15 feet from my room to Juan’s door to ask for help. My ego did not want to give in, but I am sure glad I did. This is not a favorite activity, just a memorable one. But I do laugh about a few things. Now I get to laugh in the face of any other sickness that takes hold of me. “Oh yeah influenza? You can’t hold a candle to Salmonella!”

2. Bismark and the Gang

I spent two mega-hectic weeks in Casa Grande (the big house) with Ali and he 9 children. She was overwhelmed. Add me and what do you get? Two overwhelmed kids who could laugh at our misery. Haha. Naw, we had a blast. Little Bismark was to die for. Keeping 3 year-old John Alex from falling into the toilet during “business” time brings back the giggles. And spoon-feeding Yaneth the human vacuum is one of life’s greatest satisfactions. Bring on my first baby. I am ready for him. Better yet, bring on twins. I might as well used my one hand diaper changing skill!

1. Fathering

Nothing is better. I am not sure anything ever will be. I was a foster father for Miguel, Juan, and Brayan for about 3 weeks. I have never felt more love for a human being than I felt for these 3 guys. The feeling of responsibility and continuous joy was incredible. My only regret of my experience here at Familia Feliz was not asking to be a single parent for the rest of the year. Seeing these guys put their total trust in me was so energizing yet heart-melting. Wife, (whoever and wherever you are), get ready to get busy. I am more certain now than ever that I am destined to have 22 little goobers! Bring ‘em on! J

There you have it. Even though I am getting super tired of it, look below and take the advice of those words seriously. Let’s see if you can top my list! I have seen miracles happen before.

**Keep adventurizing!...I know I will!**

No comments:

Post a Comment