Sunday, May 5, 2013

146. Happy Birthday Fernando


Monday, 4/29/13

Last night was crazy,
Yes, it was quite the doozie,
Because our reliable moto cheufer,
Had a little too much boozy.

We spent a splendid day in town with the family, friends, and food. Eventually, we had enough and were ready to return back to the children. We waited, and waited, and waited some more. Our motorcycle-taxi drivers were no where to be found. After we called again, my driver, Fernando, arrived in high spirits. I just realized that I was smelling hops when he announced that it was his birthday and he was celebrating with a little beer...hence the high "spirits". Well, Happy Birthday Fernando, but see you later! I was not about to ride with this drunk just because it was his birthday. While he went to get a friend to bring Chad, we ditched.

We definitely were not going with them, but we did not want to offend. We walked around looking for more taxis. There were none. Out of ideas, we coughed up the money and grabbed a cheap hostal for the evening convinced we made the right move.

The next morning we woke up all bushy-eyed at 5:30 a.m. We caught a taxi and were back “home” by 7. I taught class, Chad did something important, and before we knew it, lunch was under our noses. Delicious. Emy always makes us happy with her lunchy munchies.

Then Sam, Augustine, and myself cleaned rice like South Americans. I hated it. I am an impatient American that likes to work well, but really fast and efficiently. Bolivia has not quite slowed me down yet. However, Sam and Augustine emphasized that South Americans work better but enjoy their work the whole day. They would work, and then sit on bags of rice and chat while I tried to get it done. They would encourage me to touch the beautiful rice and “love it” and then sit and relax for a while. It drives me bonkers. Where’s Chad when I need him?

However, I do like to play soccer like Bolivians. And we all did so after work project time. That is a South American tradition I gladly embrace.

**Keep adventurizing!...I know I will!**

No comments:

Post a Comment