Sunday, April 21, 2013

140. Pampas Trip Day 1

-->

Sunday, 4/14/13

It’s jungle time. Yes, Familia Feliz is in the jungle. However, Chad and I went into the JUNGLE!

Today and tomorrow we went on a jungle tour into the pampas of Bolivia. The pampas are the swamplands that hide most of the wildlife in the Amazon rain forest. Since the tours are 2 days long and fairly cheap, we decided to use our day off plus an extra day to check out the really wild side of Bolivia.

We all met at the tour office at 9:00 a.m. There were 36 in total. There were 34 Israelis. There were 2 Americans—guess who? Each group was divided by car. We had 7 other people in our Toyota Land Cruiser. After an Israel culture shock—these Israelis are quite open and boistrous—we began our 3 hour car ride towards Santa Rosa where the pampas are. Chad and I had fun trying to understand these wacky people sitting in front of us, and they had a lot of fun bothering Chad and myself. Good thing we are good sports.
Our group of crazies

We arrived in Santa Rosa starving! They had food ready for us: delicious semola soup, rice, corn, and French fries. Our whole table turned out to be vegetarian and we each had to ask for special plates. The difference being that Chad and I politely asked the waitress as if she was human. The other people at our table spoke to her like spoiled brats. Chad and I felt awful for her, so we made our sympathy towards her quite obvious. Glad we did. Out of all 36 people with us, Chad and I were the only two to get seconds!!! Niceness pays. After we got our seconds, the others at our table asked for more and got firmly denied.

With stomachs satisfied, we rode fifteen minutes to the drop site where long boats were waiting for us. As we waited for the guides to load the boats with supplies for camp, the nature already emerged from its hiding place. Pink river dolphins started playing 100 feet from where the boats were docked. We were allowed to swim to them, but…no one else was doing so. And they are scary looking!

All 9 of us from the truck jumped in the boat along with our tour guide, Yuda (who was phenomenal and amazingly tolerant of the behavior of the other hooligans on our tour). We began weaving in and out of the dense wetlands. Out of nowhere, Yuda would spot birds, owls, turtles and alligators. The simple pleasure of cruising in this boat with the breeze, perfect weather, and jaw-dropping nature was overwhelming. If we were not instructed to “go ye forth INTO all nations…” I would totally set up my home in this place (at least for half the year—I’m my father’s son, so I’m a huge mountain man).
Our tour guide, Yuda

Big bird
 My ears were suddenly attacked by screams from the Israelis. I have learned to expect this all trip long. I assumed a mosquito had landed on one of the girls. Nope…they spotted monkeys! Gnarly! To me, monkeys are the definition of the jungle. You have not been in the jungle until you see monkeys. I had seen two from a distance at Familia Feliz, but these little guys came right up to you. They wanted bananas. How cliché. Yuda strategically placed a banana on our backs as we enjoyed having them jump all over us. Their color pattern was vibrant, but their quirky personality was the main event. I could have stayed there all morning.

Monkeys!!!
Monkey attack!

Don´t worry, they were eating the banana...not the beard


I wanted to catch it

Super  cool to see an owl like that. It seemed out of place.
Our home for the night

Relaxing

After the lovely three-hour boat ride, a tiny village on stilts popped out of the greenery. We would be sleeping amongst these 7 cabins, with a dining hall and hammock area. It was perfect. We grabbed popcorn and api (a Bolivian purple corn hot drink) and then relaxed in the hammocks. Then it was go time…

One hour before sundown, Yuda summoned us back into the boat. We voyaged to a grassland area to watch the sun recede into the shrubbery. Breath-taking. The main event, however, was the alligator hunting once it was dark.

In the pitch black, we shined flashlights looking for the red eyes of the alligators. We were slightly hopeless because Yuda had told Chad that we would be lucky to see one. Within 5 minutes, though, Yuda spotted one, then I did. But they were all too big to get near to and try to catch. Then, Chad found one. I have no idea how he did, because it was a baby, which is really hard to spot. He was not too far away! Yuda quickly positioned the boat close and grabbed the baby. Go Chad and Yuda.

I was in bliss. Reptiles rule. This was my first gator. We took turns holding it. If I was not in public I would have talked to it and given her a big ‘ol hug. Without warning, Yuda took the baby and popped it in his mouth! He had an ALLIGATOR in his mouth! An ALLIGATOR!!! I soo had to do that…and did. I felt slightly cruel but was careful not to chew her. It was an incredible feeling. Then Chad tried it too. We finally let her swim back to mama and went on to find three or four more.
Serene

Add caption

Gatortito
I held it, but then...

...I put it near my mouth...


...tasty!

We hurried home to change the taste in our mouths with the fantastic dinner offered. Then snoozed in the hammocks. Then slept in our beds. Then woke up to the loud laughter of our compadres. Then plugged my ears. Then slept for 10 hours.

**Keep adventurizing!...I know I will!**

1 comment:

  1. That sounds a lot like my mission trip to Peru when we traveled the Amazon, we held baby crocodiles and were in boats for 8 hours. But your seems so much more awesome. We were miserable, and NEVER saw a monkey :( no fair! :)

    ReplyDelete