Monday, February 11, 2013

104. Miguel´s Return


Friday, 2/1/13

       Miguel came back! What a great way to start the month.

       I awoke to the question, Where is Teacher Eric? Is he still here? The voice did not register (and I was still groggy and I fell quickly back asleep). I awoke in time for breakfast, opened my door, and got tackled by Miguel. I saw his father in the background with a pleased expression on his face. We did not expect him to return, but I am so relieved he did. His sister, Rebecca, also returned. She seemed happy and cuter than ever.

       Their father stayed the day. He grew on me the more I spoke with him. He appears ratty and slightly slowhe is. However, his love for his kids is immense and he seems to provide for them quite well. For some reason, when he ate with us, the kids and other volunteers did not seem to show him much respect. He seemed to notice and was quite subdued. I tried to put a spark in his eyes with a few jokes directed for him. Vroom. Right over his head. However, I spoke with him and he slowly opened up. 

       As I helped Rebecca move in, He came and talked to me. He asked me how to say hermano in English. For the remainder of the day, I was Brother Eric. He spoke more about his kids and how to care for them. As saying goodbye to Rebecca and Miguel, they did not seem like they were going to miss him. He turned around with tears in his eyes, made contact with me, walked towards me, and gave me a man hug. I said as cheery of a farewell as I could with a lump in my throat and he promised he would come back before I left to spend some more time with his children and me. 

       How many times do we not show our parents or God how much we love them? How many times do we make them cry when we do not return their love? Way too often. Because of this father, I am striving to create only tears of joy from now on. Thanks Miguels dad for your kids and your life lesson!!

       **Keep adventurizing!...I know I will!**

1 comment:

  1. Love this blog Eric not only for the wonderful way you made Miguel's dad feel, but also because you are no longer going away so you do not make your parents cry:) love you son!

    ReplyDelete