Monday, September 24, 2012

7. Daily Routine


I enjoy routines. As a creature of habit, I thrive if I maintain a similar schedule each day. However, the only thing routine about my daily schedule nowadays, is that it is routinely different. I like it!

Here’s how my week days currently go…more or less.

5:00 a.m.!!!! Wake up. Devotional and preparation for the day.
5:20 a.m. Take a frigid shower. It’s hot outside everyday, but it’s coolest at this time in the morning so just assume that I have no problem waking up. J
5:30 a.m. Join the kids for praise and devotional.
6:30 a.m. Breakfast. Boys sing the “Thank You” song before the meal, then pray.
7:00 a.m. Chores. Each has his own chore. Wash plates, tables, sweep, clean, etc.
7:30 a.m. Watch the boys go to school. Then, off to work.
8:00 a.m. Water the fruit chaco (a garden with banana, watermelon, and citrus plants) with a couple boys and Chad.
10:00 a.m. Work in the new rice chaco. Currently, it’s comprised of ashes and fallen trees, but we hope to plant the rice this week.
12:00 p.m. Eat with my family. For each meal, a kid from each house retrieves the meal in a pot from the central kitchen.
12:30 p.m. Siesta time!! I supervise the kids as they play outside, play inside, quarrel, and draw with my crayons. Sometimes I take them to the creek to swim.
2:00 p.m. Work time. I help look for projects for the kids to assist in. Some of the projects my family has worked on so far have been mixing cement, collecting sand from a river 20 minutes away, unloading timber, filling holes in the soccer field, and stacking logs that we cut in the rice chaco. Surprisingly, they usually do this with smiles. Usually.
4:00 p.m. I help the kids water the fruit chaco and tomato plants again. Somedays. Other days they will play at this time.
5:00 p.m. Play!! I use the rest of my energy at this time. What do we play? Soccer. Always. The kids put me to shame as they use their instincts to maneuver around me. I usually feel inferior. Sometimes I surprise myself. I have yet to play volleyball, but was ecstatic when I discovered that a sand pit did exist on campus.
7:30 p.m. Supper
8:00 p.m. Workout with Juan. This house parent (my pretend brother since I am the uncle of the house) has taken me under his wing in this catergory. He is built like an ox, and even has his own “gym” in our backyard which improves weekly. We just built a pulley system…like a homemade Bowflex!! He also has dumbbells made from cement, metal poles, and paint cans. I am already sore after using the chainsaw and working in the chaco—so I feel like rubber after he’s done with me.
8:45 p.m. Shower
9:00 p.m. Bed. I read, journal, sometimes blog (like right now) , and contemplate as I does.
10:00 p.m. Sleep. I always feel in my own, protective world with my mosquito net encasing me in its cubicle shape. I love it.

My own room! It's currently "under construction"
The rice chaco where we saw and stack logs

The kids playing in the creek
My casa
There you are--my current life. It’s bound to change as I am given more responsibilities (for example, Chad and I will be the sole bread makers three times a week by next week. I will most likely gain more muscle mass doing this than during the rest of my day!). However, I enjoy being flexible and always look forward to learning new skills.

Thanks for reading.

**Keep adventurizing!...I know I will!**

5 comments:

  1. 1. I can't wait to see if you've gained any muscle or lost more weight when you come home
    2. I can't wait till you come home cause I love homemade bread
    3. Learn their soccer ways well, then teach me

    Eu amo voce MUITO
    -Tessy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. Both, most likely.
      2. Yup on the bread.
      3. Done. Already a soccer pro. You have much to learn younglin.
      4. Nice portuguese.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice schedule Eric, I am sure by the time you hit the pillow, you sleep like a log. Keep writing that I enjoy reading. Love and miss you. Mom

    ReplyDelete