Thursday, September 13, 2012

5. Luggage


Book 1: Journey to the Orphanage
     Chapter 2: Santa Cruz
          Adventure 2: Luggage

I could have saved $320 USD...if I was a foot shorter.


Notice the sea of handles at the bottom
Traveling with a 9 month supply of luggage is not an easy task in Bolivia. In the United States, while slightly strange, observing two young men hauling four bags (2 suitcases, 1 backpacking pack, and 1 small Camelbak) is more usual due to the convenience granted by the American airlines. A U.S. plane can check in 3 bags in addition to 2 carry-ons for a fee of around $70. In Bolivia, so far, I have spent $320 on luggage alone, due to the fact that the planes are a third of an american vessel.
The numerous bags filled with goodies
Without a doubt, however, the nuisance and cost of this baggage will be worth it. Our reward for our troubles? Smiles!! One of my two suitcases is filled with goodies for the orphans: burettes and hairties for the niñas, colorful construction paper, crayons, colored pencils, a ball pump, and most importantly, four soccer balls. I think I am excited about these as the children will be!

Even with yesterday's hassle, we had another great day. We concluded the day with a gander in the markets of Santa Cruz. We purchased $3 soccer jerseys and fresh fruit! A citrus looking item that was neither good nor bad, some peaches, and an amazing kiwi that appeared to have two heads. We felt like legitimate locals as we bartered for fruit in the markets (I'm sure they still got the best of us :).

Yummo! Who needs dessert with these beauties?
Tonight is our last night in a city besides Rurrenabaque. Also our last night with internet for a while. We finally get to see the kids tomorrow morning--we cannot wait! While this unplanned vacation due to our visa issues was fantastic, I feel it will pale in comparison to the reward of serving these children.

**Keep adventurizing!...I know I will!**

10 comments:

  1. Eric! Way cool that you're an SM in Bolivia-I've enjoyed reading about your adventures thus far and can't wait to hear more! You're definitely in my prayers! Was wondering, since I teach at an Adventist school and I'm trying to instill in my students the value of helping others/ putting others first, is there any way that my students could "send" some things to the children at the orphanage you'll be at?draw pictures, collect small crafts/toys/ toiletries for them? Didn't know if we could help in some way! Think about it and let me know!
    Nikki Cowgill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nikki!! Fantastico to hear from you! I'll try to make the writing spicy for your enjoyment. And...of course! "Sending" things is a great way to benefit your kids and my ninos. The kids here would appreciate anything. Especially toy watches, toy/cheap sunglasses, balls, photos of America and your students, cheap hats (craft hats?)....I'm sure you and your kids have more and better ideas too. The only big problem is the problem that giving belongings here creates: jealousy and feuds. Therefore I'd consider finding something that could be given to all 55ish of the kids or something all of them could appreciate. A wall of homemade pictures, shampoo, and general toiletries shouldn't create a problem. Also, the kids are in different houses. My friend and I have 7 and 12 kids, respectively. Crafts just for them may also work, as long as they don't flaunt them in front of the other kids. It's tricky, but has potential to be awesome. Feel free to shoot me your ideas, and I'll let you know what I think. The best gift, besides prayers, would be............you and Nick in person!!!! haha.

      Delete
  2. Glad you arrived safely there. Have a wonderful time full of God's blessings. Love you! mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a wonderful time. Check. God's blessings? Too many to count so far. Love you mom!

      Delete
  3. You're in our prayers Eric! Glad you had an enjoyable time for a few days before your 9 months of work that sounded like it would keep you busy days and evenings. God Bless. Look forward to following the rest of what you write. Sincerely, Alyssa, Peter, and Kathy Christoph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christophs. I'll be sure to keep the blog updated...and I'll bring home plently of pics. I'm sure us "friend families" will gather for a slide show.

      Delete
  4. Hi Eric. All the best to you! Live the dream! This could well be the best time of your life!
    I'll be following you.
    -Peter Christoph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far...it's been some of my best days. But I'm definitely living the dream...even if it includes using a chain saw in the sun and 100 degrees.

      Delete
  5. You have some great adventure stories. I like your writing style. Can't wait for more stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Decided to sign into your blog and comment?

      Delete